Sunday, February 6, 2011

Friday's Experience

       Friday's not talking adventure was extremely hard. I struggled the most during lunch, my lunch table was extremely quiet because everyone was not able to talk. As I was sitting there, not talking, starring at each other awkwardly, I began to realize how important and necessary talking is to function properly and have a "normal" social life. Without talking life becomes suddenly and extremely boring, and trying to get your point acrossed is definitely more frustrating. In the same way Postman is trying to convey in the first chapter of his novel, Amusing Ourselves to Death, that our society is beginning to rely too heavily on the media as our medium and our way to communicate with other people instead of communicating with other actual human beings with words and emotions. Postman is correct in his belief that the world is too focused on striving for the new and cool way to communicate yet by creating these cool and instant ways of talking by texting, facebook, and email people are lacking in the experiences of a social life and talking to other people face to face to understand what they mean.

6 comments:

  1. Thoughtful response, Lauren. "People are lacking in the experiences of a social life and talking to other people..." That is one drawback Postman will develop throughout the rest of the book. Stay tuned for more...
    Mr. Brandt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your point about our society relying too much on technology today. It really isn't that important. Out of the 2 experiments we did, a day without facebook and a day without talking, the day without talking was definitely more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you tied our lack of talking on Friday to the lack of real talking done when using facebook or texting. We were all outraged and frustrated that our messages couldn't be conveyed easily on Friday. When in reality, they are not properly conveyed anyhow in our typical ways of communicating through facebook or texting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that society is relaying on technology. Not talking showed that without a good source of communication just like technology hurts today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. Texting, facebook, and e-mails are lacking in socialization. Talking is so much better. It gives us far more freedom and shows our personallites through the tone of our voices. No talking on Friday was different in a bad way because we simply could not express ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially relate to your lunch time adventure Lo. I had trouble at lunch too because everyone was just staring at me as I tried to act out why I couldn't talk. As I gazed back at their blank stares I realised how important it was to use the right means of communication to get your actual point across.

    ReplyDelete